Thursday, 8 November 2012

Mu Ness coast, Dale of Walls...

The west coast of Shetland is something else. Amazing cliffs, stacks and arches. I always thought Westerwick  and Silwick were about as good as it gets, but after heading along the coast north from Mid Dale they've got some competition... 


It's a short walk from Netherdale along the burn of Dale to the coast. The burn is very pretty and has the odd cascade hidden away. Worth a nose in itself, but I was heading around the circular walk looking for wobbly stiles.


 Looking over to The Ness of Bakka from the stony beach there was a monstrous wave breaking...



Pretty wicked stuff with big booms as it collapsed...



The views up the coast from here are magnificent with Papa Stour just visible in the north and ever present was Foula, out to the west and shrouded in cloud.

This interesting headland is Weinnia Ness. Sadly I didn't have time to explore, just a few photos as I was working after all...


 I came across the 'fairy ring on the cliff tops too...


I think they are a waxcap, some sort of hygrocybe and not something to munch on...


After checking the stiles and gates on the circular walk it was back to the car for some dinner. The aurora was sounding promising for tonight, but as the rain's returned I won't be seeing that. I've fingers crossed for some better weather at the weekend though so I can get out for an explore somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment