Sunday, 7 October 2012

Simple pleasures...

Feeling a little better this weekend I decided to put some of my armchair/YouTube bushcraft to the test and make a couple of cheap and cheerful stoves from old cans. To be fair I don't need to as I have a perfectly good Trangia and on a day out a flask is a lot less hassle, but not so much fun!

First up was an alcohol jet stove. Two recycled coke cans, a penny and a dash of meths...


video

Another low cost and efficient wood burning stove is the wood gas stove. One large tin and one normal sized tin (tomato soup in this case)  are holed and fitted together. it took about 30 minutes to make this rough and ready trial one.


It burn with scraps of wood and has a secondary burn of the gasses given off which should mean a pretty clean burn. We gave it a go just using some dead wood fresh from the flowering currant bushes in the garden. So for all they were dead the were damp and not split or anything they burnt no problem, just a little more smoke than is ideal. I'll put a little video here when it'll upload...


Later we went west for a drive over to Da Gairdins I Sand and started off with a picnic and a cuppa on the rocks near the old St Mary's Kirk...


I'll stick up an separate post with some photos of Da Gardins and there abouts as the internet is being particularly bad this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment