Saturday, 25 August 2012

The Hamnavoe Coast

I went for a walk today with my friend and his dog up the coast from Hamnavoe in Eshaness. We had a stunning day as you can see from this photo of Ronas Hill in the distance...



I'd had ideas of going over Ronas and down to Lang Ayre today. Looking at the weather over there I may be should have, but we had a good day up on this bit of coast.

There are some great locations to visit such as the cliffs and rock platforms around South Head on this stretch of coast. I thought that I had photos of some amazing headlands and geos, but stupidly I'd left my camera on manual focus so they were all wasted. Trust me not to be sensible and check my shots after I took them!

Luckily when I got to Warie Gill Geo I had realised about the manual focus, so there are a few that survived. Here's looking from the side of the gorge back in land up The Burn of Tingon...


The falls as they drop into the sea at Warie Gill Geo...


It's really quite a drop...


This is the Geo of Ockran, which is a really big geo extending a long way inland. It has a rope to get down into it at it's inland end. It looked very inviting, but with a doggy in tow we didn't want to risk him trying to follow us or getting stuck, so it'll be on my 'to do' list for next time I'm here.


There were plenty of seals about in the geo and even a dead floating one out at sea with a great black backed gull sitting on top of it eating away at it. A bit grim but fascinating too! 

Not far after the geo we headed up the hill to get the view of Ronas Hill before working our way south to Tingon itself and following the track back to Hamnavoe. We had a great walk with fine weather and I can only hope that the forecast for tomorrow is right and Clare and Beren and I can get out for some exploring some where...



2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that we were in Shetland last week. I miss it so much, and your photos make me miss it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers! Glad you enjoyed your visit I always worry that relatives will have a good time after the expense and hassle of getting here

    ReplyDelete