Friday, 31 August 2012

A few panoramas from the south end...

It's been a very mixed week, but in between the often awful spells it's been pretty lovely, so I took advantage of the clear spells for a few photos when I was out and about.

I've been messing about with stitching panoramas together in photoshop, much to my computers dislike. Just quick hand held ones, but my poor pc isn't quite up to spec for stitching a large number of large RAW files. It get's there eventually, most of the time, but I have had a few moments when it's just frozen.

Anyway here is are a few I snapped, all hand held in a fair breeze, but I think they show some of the spots off pretty well.

Here's Fitful Head across The Bay of Quendale...


Scat Ness, Fitful Head and the airport...


Spiggie Beach...



Spiggie Beach and a surprise beach in the bay...



Here's a single photo of Spiggie with my 8-16mm Sigma lens; distortion meant I had to stand the masts on the Ward of Scousburgh back up in photoshop...


Colsay, St Ninians and Ward of Scousburgh from Spiggie...


It's turned grim again for the weekend with gales along with the rain. It's a shame as we were hoping to do some voluntary work on Sunday at Da Gairdins out near Sand, you never know...

If nothing else it'll hopefully pass over for Monday as I'm due up in Fetlar for the day for work; I think I'll be making other arrangements though if the weather's not sorted itself out by then!

5 comments:

  1. As you probably remember from when you had your Finepix HS 20 EXR there is a panoramic option on that. I had great fun trying it out whilst we were up and have several rather nice ones. Yours are beautifully sharp. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're getting on well with the camera. I found that New Zealander's blog about it very helpful as there's so many settings. The panoramics on it were cool too, try doing them with it in portrait orientation (you'll probably have to set it to pan top to bottom?)and then they'll be deeper and long rather than skinny and long and give you more leeway with cropping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, if you are on Face Book, you might want to join the 'Shetland on Camera' group. A great range of photos and styles on there and all Shetland landscape and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am on facebook so thanks for that, I'll have a look. Thanks for the tip about setting to pan in portrait mode, they do come out rather thin on the standard setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have joined the group on face book but you will see me there as Karen Ashley...I have been in the blog world as Ellen as I am not that keen on my given name of Karen! I had considered changing my name by deed poll but my children and husband were not impressed so I have held off for the time being....

    ReplyDelete