Friday, 22 June 2012

Ness of Ireland

I've been pretty busy lately and it's been taking it's toll on my energy, but after a lazy start to the day I had to get out for a wander and decided to head down to The Ness of Ireland near Maywick.


Parking at the end of the public road I managed to open the door against the wind and headed north towards The Taing of Maywick.


Looking back toward St Ninian's...


As I headed over the hill I was greeted by a few fly pasts by this arctic skua. It wasn't aggressive and was practically hovering over me on the strong winds.


 By contrast the area further on was busy with bonxies that came down at me like stukas out of the sun. Not close enough to be a bother, but quite exiting...


Looking north over the Taing of Maywick along the Clift Hills...


After exploring the headland I started south along the western coast and soon came across this arch...


From the other side looking north...


This little stretch of coast has some wonderful cliffs and at this time of the year they were bedecked with fulmars and there are numerous white stained stacks with colonies of guillemots. As I headed south I came to an interesting couple of geos and Burgi Stacks just past The Green of Mandrup.


You can go right out on to some of the stacks with clear drops into the sparkling water below. This particular stack stood out on it's own and had the remains of a climbing rope strewn across it. Presumably used to abseil down, it's now been totally thrashed to it's core and needs taking down. 


An impressive and tempting buttress...



Ness of Ireland's 'In Pinn' with the remains of the rope...


The geology here is interesting too. Here's the layered apex of a fold in the rocks...


I was feeling pretty tired by now and the day was darkening and looking ready to rain so I carried on to the next arch before heading back up to the car.



I had a great wander round this little area and look forward to exploring it more in the future and getting down on to some of the shores. Thankfully my camera is whizzing it's way back from the repair man so next time I'll not be restricted to the mobile for photos.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place. I'm also hoping to move to Shetland. How did you find the experience of moving? Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter, moving wasn't too bad as we had help relocating through work which at least covered the cost and meant we had a relocation council house initially. Just a case of being very organised and taking in to account when your removals will arrive in relation to you and making contingencies for any ferry cancellations for you or your gear. Probably best not to arrive mid December like we did. It's a long trek too!


    Renting a house is more difficult, especially as I see you have dogs, there are lots of short term and furnished lets, but no so many long term unfurnished ones and there is very high demand for any social housing. The only issue we've had with living here really is the massive cost of going south to visit family or any where else, don't under estimate it.

    Wish you well on your venture

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete