Sunday, 27 May 2012

Sandvoe

It's been a stunning week up here and the weekend has only got better. Unfortunately, for all I like the sun and clear skies I don't like the heat at all though, something that's not usually a problem here!

We've not been up to much this weekend. Beren's struggling with tonsillitis and I've been suffering from a joint leaving do on Friday night. It's not that I drank much at all, even one pint just doesn't agree with me, so while most were sunning it up on Saturday with BBQ's and the like I spent the day pretty much inside reading and feeling pretty grotty.

I woke up this morning thinking I felt refreshed and ready to go. So, with a large dose of sun block and a hastily packed bag I set off for Sandvoe. I've been wanting to get out to Uyea from there for a long time. The other year tried and failed to kayak there as the sea was too big for me on my own. And today I would fail to walk there too! Hey ho, it was just too damn hot without a breath of wind and my poor old legs and body were not as refreshed as I'd thought. 

I parked up at the cemetery at Sandvoe and set off around the coast. Here's the view looking back from the beach...


Looking across to the house were Simon King stayed briefly with his family when filming Shetland Dairies...


Looking out to sea...


I carried on round the coast past Roer Mill to Heoga Neap before calling it a day. Not far I know, but some times it's best to listen to your body and just quit while you're ahead and it was still a grand walk.


Roer Mill is the beach on the right...


Looking out west past Heoga neap with Uyea in the distance...


The walk from Sandvoe to Uyea and back via North Roe is around 10 miles, but a pretty tough 10 miles with the leg out there going across the grain of old glacial valleys over rough unmarked ground all the way. The route back to North Roe is a lot less demanding being largely along a rough vehicle track. If you're feeling fit and the weather is good it'd be well worth the trek, but make sure you time it to get to Uyea for low tide if you want to get across to it on the tombolo. Next time I might just go for the easy track route both ways and make sure I'm not suffering from a dodgy belly and the rest!


On the way home I popped in to see a friend in Vidlin before joining Clare an Beren for some play time in the garden and park. A quick few miles round Burwick tonight in the cool of this evening and that's me ready for bed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment