Thursday, 10 May 2012

A late night at Loch of Tingwall

Aurora Alerts on Twitter had been promising some northern lights last night so I decided to stay up a while and see if there was any action, but the only problem was waiting for dark! I forget it's only 6 or 7 weeks from the simmer dim when there is pretty much 24 hour light here, so by midnight there was a still too much light in the sky, although it was dark, and for all I could convince myself of a faint green glow it was just wishful thinking.

Anyway in the hope of a great view on a cool still night I headed up the Tingwall Valley and a great view I had, but not of the lights...

Looking north up the valley from Asta Golf course. The snipe were making their ghostly sounds and the gulls on the little island further north on The Loch of Tingwall were making a less atmospheric racket.


Up on The Loch of Tingwall all was calm except for the now deafening gulls on the island and the rhythmic wooshing of the Burradale Sisters up on the hill above.


The night was so gorgeous, I wanted to stay out, but I needed my bed.


It was tempting to dive in and dissolve into the night, but home I headed...


I prefer the black and white, but just so you can see what a wonderful night it was...


And it's looking to be a stunner of a day too...

2 comments: