Sunday, 15 April 2012

A run to Reawick

We had a slow start to the day. Clare is full of cold and Beren seems to be on strike when it comes to going out, so mid morning I took myself for a stroll around some of the Tingwall valley, it was sunny but bitterly cold and the early morning snow was still on the hills.


Not far from home I came across this dishevelled fella. Reminded me of some of the gothy hair I admired in the 80's. He came up for a pat, seemed happy enough and then when he'd had enough niped my hand and sped off into the distance!


After my little wander around the valley I headed back up the road to Scalloway ready for some dinner and a bit more work.


It had turned out to be a stunning day, an icy cold northerly wind, but not the sort of day i could face staying too long on. I fancied a run out to a Sunday Tea at Sandness combined with a wander in the west, but Clare was wanting to stay home and even the prospect of cake wasn't strong enough for Beren. However, I finally prised him from the house and off we went.


First stop was Park Hall just west of Bixter, an intriguing landmark on the road side that I'd never actually stopped at before.


I had a quick nose inside. It's not a pretty sight or smell. Beren waited outside while I took no time at all to decide venturing in would just be plain silly. I did take a quick snap of the chimney stack through the roof though.


By now we were getting snow flurries and along with the cutting wind I decided just to head down to Reawick, a lovely little out of the way spot. It'd be a bit too fresh to do anything out at Sandness with Beren in his lazy mood.


We had a wander south around some of the head land, stunning scenery...


The Clift Hills, Burra and Hamnavoe were easily visible across the bay...


And the skies and sea were wonderful...


I think I spotted a rough way to get down into this little cove when I'm on my own...


The coastlines up here are just stunning, even in a hail shower...


Beren enjoyed his new game of being stuck in a rabbit hole as we went along, though most of the time he was just asking to go back to the car and lying down on strike! Notice The Burradale Sister in the background...


But all too soon I'd cajoled him and conned him with top of the hill tlaes once to often and we had to say good bye to Reawick. To be fair it was very cold and he wasn't up for it before we left, but atleast we had a laugh and Clare got a bit of peace and quiet.

You can just seen Fitful Head down in the south on this one...


On the way back we stopped for a promised snack in Bixter before popping along the road to Cott in Weisdale to have a nose at a house that we'd seen for sale. It's lovely out along the road to Cott, opposite Kalliness and there's a great little grave yard on the voe side I'd like to pop in to some time.


Anyway it's back to work tomorrow so I'd better get a bath!

No comments:

Post a Comment