Friday, 13 April 2012

The family come to visit..

My brother's family and my Mam have been up this week for their first time. The weather could have behaved itself a bit better, as it is now, but I think they had a good time; I know we did.


They stayed a a lovely holiday let in Scalloway, Ladysmith House, which I would highly recommend for a family wanting a clean, spacious and convenient place to stay. Plenty of coal for the stove and even a BBQ, not that we had BBQ weather this week!


One of our first forays with them was to the south end to St Ninina's Isle and Spiggie. It was nippy but sunny and the bairns enjoyed playing on the beach with the ever present dog (what is his name?)


Here's my sister in law taking part in the long jump while the dog digs holes nearby...


Enjoying the view back over the tombolo...


One of my favourite views on Shetland at the south end of St Ninian's Isle...


Hollie, my niece and Beren with a large, intact, bivalve they found. They enjoyed collecting lots of shells including Arctic Cowries and top shells...


We got out most days somewhere or other between the weathers, be it the various beaches on Burra watching the seals, visiting the smugglers cave near Hamnavoe or out to Sunday tea at Whiteness...

It was pretty noisy and full of spray in the cave, but a good little adventure for the bairns...


Of course we went up to Stenness and Eshaness to see The Drongs, Dore Holm and the rest of the coast, with the obligatory tea and cake at Breiwick Cafe. It was a pretty rough day up there which left us all damp for the drive home...



Before my brother came up I'd been trying to organise a trip out on a boat around some of the islands and keeping fingers crossed for the right conditions to get out. I'd settled on a trip from Aith with St Magnus Bay Charters on their boat Sceptre. It was looking dicey with the forecasts, but thankfully it all came good on the day and we had a great trip with Viktor and his grandson out around Papa Little and Vementry. We were going to go over to Muckle Roe and possibly round to The Hams, but it was a little rough out there for some of our party. A trip I can hopefully do in future, as the last time I was round there was in a kayak, along with a good few minutes in the sea rather than kayak!


Looking across to Muckle Roe...


The Sceptre berthed in Northra Voe...


We could have walked around to the guns on Swarbacks Head, but it was a bit far for the bairns really, so we headed up the hill to the top of Muckle Ward and a heel shaped burial chamber that is up there.


Looking across to the guns...


King and Queen of the castle...


Group pose...


Beren looking cheeky in the chamber...



The burial chamber...



Looking out towards Sandness. It was a great view, you could just pick out the hut on Forvik.


Papa Stour where I was last week...


The rest of the week was spent similarly out and pottering around Scalloway and the local hills.We pretty much finished with a trip to Sumburgh Lighthouse and a sighting of our first puffin of the year and my brothers first ever sighting of a puffin, followed by a lovely lunch in The Sumburgh Hotel. If you're hungry get a Club Sandwich there on a lunch time, you won't be disappointed, and the chips are awesome!


The only bad thing about the week was the death of my camera lens. I was wondering why I couldn't get a sharp shot, and it had been bugging me with the photos from Papa Stour too. I'd put it down to the high winds, but then I noticed the front of the lens that extends was wobbly, all my photos took a lot of fiddling to get anything usable and the lens is now dead. Luckily the Birthday Bunny is coming to the rescue. I don't seem to have much luck with cameras, even though I am careful, honest!


Anyway our family are now safely back on the UK mainland and we've got a few days before work starts again. The sun is out and once I've posted this so are we...

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely love your posts. So glad you had a good time with your family. I'm ticking off the days till my summer brak up there. Trying Yell this time as an escape for the Olympics fever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, it's good to know I'm not talking to myself LOL! Escaping Olympic and Royal fever should be easy on Yell. We'll be camping on some of the northern isles this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I haven't camped since I was a Girl Guide rather a long time ago. I will be staying in a cottage in Camb and hubby will join me after he has taken the youngest two (18 and 19) to the games.

    ReplyDelete