Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Risso's Dolphins at Catfirth...

Sunday was the first day I heard that the Risso's Dolphins were back up at Catfirth in South nesting, but I was far to ill with man flu to go up there. Then again Monday, but there was no chance due to work. Same again Tuesday, they were still enticing the boys with the big lenses out to take their photos.


Today my lucky number was obviously drawn because not only did I have a chance to head up that way, but they were also still there, three of them cruising around the voe.


There were a few cars pulled up with their occupants sporting telephoto lenses and tripods I dream of, but it was a fresh and sunny day and to have the chance to watch them at all was great.


Slightly embarrassed with my lack of length I leaned in the shelter of the car and tried to get the best I could with my limited 18-55mm kit lens. The photos were nice, but obviously the dolphins were not so obvious in them. I cropped them to the extreme to make anything of the dolphins as you can see below.


 Here's two of them as they cruised past the old catalina base. We went over to that side to watch them but the wave action from that angle totally obscured any view...


Two again with The Ward of Bressay in the far distance...


The three of them here...


A few more that I used neat image on to try to clear them up...




These photos don't give any idea of how lovely and graceful they were as they looped round and round the bay. They even got a bit excited at one point with a couple of jumps, but I missed the action on camera and just caught the splashes. Wonderful to watch.


Now if you have super duper telephoto lenses and tripods (and a lot of skill) you may get something like these which Hugh Harrop posted on facebook...




Or this one posted on facebook by George Graham (sorry can't find a link to you, but let me know and I'll add it)


Tonight there are forecasts of fantastic solar activity at a level that would mean a great aurora that should be dancing in the sky. Earlier there was a definite green glow all over, but now as I type I can hear sleet on the window. You never know though, it might clear before bedtime...

No comments:

Post a Comment