Saturday, 13 August 2011

My first sour dough loaf...

In the beginning there was flour, water, a bit of natural yoghurt and a few raisins. Out of this came Margo, our own pet yeast in an old mayonnaise jar...


Not so pretty is she really? But give it a few days for her to grow, add some more flour, water, honey, salt and oil. Put in a little elbow grease and a bit of time and here's her first baby.


I may be made this mix a bit on the wet side, but it seems with sour dough it 's a bit more of an art than a science. Anyway the out come was a lovely tasting textured loaf with a nice chewy crust, just a bit more spread out than I'm used to.


The remainder of Margo has gone back into gestation with more flour and water added. The remainder of this loaf is tempting us all beyond belief and had a hearty thumbs up from Clare and Beren. I've got to say it's the tastiest loaf I've made and adding a couple of our own poached eggs to it later will be fantastic.


I'll start off a 'sponge' later tonight and then in the morning be ready to roll for sour dough loaf mk 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment