Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Misty Morning on St Ninian's Isle

After a rough start to the day I decided I needed to get out and stretch my legs. It was a misty morning, but not really wet and pretty mild. I didn't want to push it too far, so I set off for a short walk around the relatively flat St Ninian's Isle.


I've kayaked round the isle before with Clare and Beren and visited various bits, but never walked around it all. With my legs not being too great lately I took my walking poles and set off at a steady pace.


Looking south from near the Chapel remains...


And back towards the tombolo...


As I looked out towards Ireland and the skerries along the coast I noticed this little arch hiding away below me.


I was soon at the northern tip of the isle. Here's the view looking south down the coast where we kayaked last year.



Hitch Holm was just peeping out the mist.


It seems an age since we kayaked through these stacks and skerries. I'll have to hope for a day when both the sea's and my own conditions allow for me to do it again and spend some time exploring the nooks and crannies.



The southern end of the island always gets my interest going. It's so dramatic looking and on a clear day the view to the south of Shetland only enhances it. A gorgeous spot to sit.


Despite my steady pace and the easy walk I was feeling it by now. I looked down on the spot where we had stopped for our lunch on the kayak last year (the shingle beach between the holm and the cliffs below), had a drink and decided to cut back to the tombolo from here.


For all it's small size there's so much to explore around the coast of St Ninian's and plenty of places where you can, with care, get down to to the sea if you're that way inclined.


For now though  it's time to get the chilli on for tea and put my feet up. Body and weather permitting I hope to go down to East Burra tomorrow to have a little nosey round that less explored part of Burra, but we'll see what tomorrow brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment