Saturday, 4 June 2011

Skellister Voes, South Nesting

Waking early to a bright morning and lighter winds than of late I sneaked out the house for a little paddle from The West Voe of Skellister with plans to go round Ling Ness and back.



First stop was the Holm of Skellister.


A seal was dozing as I went by.


I headed out across the bay towards Ling Ness, but the wind was getting up and the further I got out the choppier it got. I soon realised that going where I'd planned would mean paddling on along a wind ward shore so decided to investigate some of  small holms in the voes.

 


There was plenty of bird life about with great black backed gulls, guillemots, black guillemots, artic terns, dunters and even a swan. I did hope I might come across an otter as I scanned the reveals along the coast lines, but I wasn't so lucky.

 



My trip shortened I got home earlier than planned. Not a bad thing; I wasn't feeling as full as energy as I'd first thought and the paddle back into the freshening wind left me glad to be heading home for a cuppa and a bite to eat.


With the rest of the day a head it's relaxing with family and friends. May be another short explore tomorrow with a friend though if the weather holds...

No comments:

Post a Comment