Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Return of the Sun and things to come...

Lerwick's Up Helly Aa day has come round again. Depending on who you talk to it's a great community event (as are the country ones) or it's just a waste of time and money, but judging by the number of people in town today and the number of obvious tourists it's pretty popular. It's also Burns' Night da nicht too!

Whatever your feelings it means tomorrow is a day off in Shetland, so, along with the Royal Wedding this year, it is some thing that gives most people atleast some reason to celebrate.

The day started off so promising with a spectacular sun rise.



But turned steadily grey and wet as it went on. I'd hoped to get down to take some photos of the procession in town today, circumstances dictated otherwise, but I did get a few of the galley before she was burnt tonight.


Such a shame that all that hard work and craftsmanship gets burnt every year, but that's part of the fun. Here's some closer detail.



If it wasn't for the weather, and another 60 mile round trip, I'd have gone for the torch lit procession of the galley and squads tonight, which culminates in the burning of the galley. Clare has been lucky enough to get a much sought after ticket for the 'do' at Clickamin tonight with a bunch of work friends where they'll eat, drink and dance the night away until about 8am tomorrow as the Jarl Squad and the Guiser Squads take their turns to do their acts for the party goers.

While out today I was also lucky enough to get a chance to pop into the museum to see The Lewis Chessmen . 78 chess pieces carved from largely walrus ivory in the 12th century. They're up here for a while along with a display of other ancient artefact's. I only managed a few quick snaps, but I'll be back to have a better look when I have more time.




As for other things. Well I have been out and about as weather and legs allow; last weekend for a great walk out along Strom Ness and a minute or two watching an otter having fun. I did take plenty of photos, but wasn't personally happy with the results. Trying to get used to a new camera is erm... trying!

I've also been shown how to knit! There was talk at work about knitting squares to make into a big blanket. Taking it to heart, Clare taught me how to cast on and knit and pearl on Saturday night (oh we do live the high life!) After a bit of knitting induced marital disharmony, much laughing and a broken needle tip I 'frogged' it all out and started again on some big needles with a chunky wool. I now get the feeling that the work project was a joke, so here for your amusement is my work so far...


I think a Fair Isle Gansey may be several life times away, but I will finish my square to embarrass the others into doing theirs if nothing else.

Post's have been a bit thin on the ground of late, mainly due to me being shattered, but the light is improving and with a bit of luck so will I.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh!! now I know.... I saw a headline about Lewis Chess Men on the Shetland Times website and assumed it was about visiting Chess players.
    LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe... a great display. Can't wait to get back for a proper look and read up on it.

    ReplyDelete