Monday, 30 August 2010

Norn but not forgotten

BBC Radio 4 just had a great programme about Sheltand poetry and dialect Norn but not forgotten There's some lovely poetry on there, it's interesting too, but only available for a week. Sadly no use to my hard of hearing followers. Another article on it can be found here, but no transcript for this programme which is a real shame.


There's a poem towards the end, second from the end may be,  'Ebb tide' I particularly liked and it even uses the term moder-dye in it! Catch it while you can...

In other news...

I'm now awaiting an appointment for an operation to sort out the cartilage in my right knee. I think that's better than it been my cruciate ligament as initially thought? They seem to have given up on the rest of me!

The nights are noticeably drawing in now and the weather cooling, but it's still grand up here and I'm hoping that the weather is fair for the weekend for another rowing club venture, a long one...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to that program Kev. Never knew it was on.

    You're right about Ebb Tide being the best poem, and although I liked some of the others, it would have been better if they had more than a fleeting association with the Shetland Dialect.
    Especially Robert Alan Jamieson, who writes in an older form of the dialect than I can read (and his book is brilliant), but was totally unable to speak anything other than Neo-Edinburgh. LOL

    But, brilliant, thanks again for the link. Made my night.

    Cheers,
    Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS.
    Hope all goes well with the knee problem.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh, got to say I was a bit dissapointed at the lack of actual Shetlandic readers, but who am I to say.

    I Just think the older speakers seem to put so much feeling into the words (or the words just instill a feeling), in normal speach too, as if words are deliberated over not just spat out.

    ReplyDelete