Wednesday, 3 February 2010

Three Treasures

I take refuge in the Buddha


I take refuge in the Dharma


I take refuge in the Sanga


It's funny how words have emotional content attached to them. Not for the first time I've been there either in person or in cyber-space when people have taken issue with the word 'refuge' as used in the Three Treasures of Buddhism.

Sanctuary, protection, asylum, cover,  escape, hiding place, immunity,  retreat, safe place, shelter, way out are synonyms in the thesaurus for it which are often seem to give it a negative connotation in that they give 'our own power' over to some-thing or some-one else.

I prefer to think of refuge in a positive way with synonyms such as anchorage, haven or home.

I don't feel I am giving away any-thing but becoming part of something. I'm returning to a home in the fog. A place that gives me anchorage in a constantly changing life. A haven that with mindfulness and sitting zazen I can realise is always there.

And it is always there for any of us if we can learn to be here, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment