It's snowing again. More than ever. Lots and lots. Schools are shut. We're snowed in. I've cleared the car 3 times.
The main road to freedom
I know it's said that the Inuit have a hundred names for snow but there are a few here, even though 'everyone' says there's not usually much snow!
- Bearing or Doonlay is snowfall
- A moorie is a blizzard
- A blinnd-moorie is a snow storm
- A moorie-caavie is a violent blizzard
- A mell-moorie is a violent blizzard of fine powdery snow, white out
- Moor is heavy snow fall
- Flukra are pretty snow shaped snow
- Skalva are wet snow flakes
- Muckle flukra/skalva are big ones
- Peerie flukra/skalva are small ones
- Snaa is just snow
- A fann is a snow drift