Friday, 15 January 2010

Time flies ...

... by when you're the driver of a train, riding on the foot plate there and back again.

Ermm... where did that come from, that's not what I wanted to say! Isn't it funny how a word, smell, single note of music can send you flying back to times in your life, usually 'good' or 'bad' but rarely in between the extremes.

It seems to follow into the habits of our life. A noise triggers us jumping tot the road side, a story has us weeping in sympathy, be it sadness or joy. I have a lot of triggers which whizz me back to both 'good' and 'bad' times (argg... a song comes to mind to divert me even more!). I guess we can't escape that, it seems to happen before we realise it, but we can choose how we react to it, let it fly by rather than engage with it. We do have the choice. But sometimes we also choose not to take it...

Any way back to my original post:

"Time flies quicker than an arrow and life passes with greater transience than the dew. However skillful you may be how can you ever recall a single day of the past. Should you live for a hundred years just wasting your time, every day and month will be filled with sorrow; should you live as a slave to your sense for a hundred years and yet live truely for only so much as a single day, you will, in that one day, not only live a hundred years of life but also save a hundred years of your future life." From the Shushogi

This came to mind yesterday as I decided to live in the past for a while. May be I was wasting my time, it doesn't feel so. I can't truely remember a single day of then, not even each moment of the video, but my 'wasted time' brought me and some others I know joy...


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I always find a little bit of reminiscing can be time well spent - nice video memory that!

    ReplyDelete